A quilt can be a wonderful gift that is both useful and thoughtful. It’s a handmade treasure that can be passed down for generations. It’s also a fun craft project that can be personalized to be meaningful or beautiful to anyone. But what supplies are needed when you’re getting started on quilt making in Albuquerque, NM?
The most essential supplies needed for beginning quilters are pins, needles and thread. Without those, you won’t be able to put a quilt together. Of course, you’ll need fabric as well, because you wouldn’t have anything to put together without it! Now that we’ve got that out of the way, here are some more quilting supplies you might need.
Quilting supplies for beginners
- Sewing machine: While it is possible to sew a quilt by hand using only a needle and thread, it’s a lot easier and less time consuming to use a sewing machine. For quilters, it’s recommended to use a sewing machine with a quarter-inch plate. You will also want a machine with a wide throat to sew the sandwich together.
- Pins and needles: Pins hold your fabric in place before and while you sew. You want to get one thick set and one thin set for different uses. Quilter’s safety pins will help you avoid sticking your fingers with the pins.
- Fabric: When it comes to fabric, the only limitation is your imagination. Choosing the fabric is one of the most creative parts of quilting. You only need a small scrap to make a square, and it’s totally up to you as to the design of how those scraps fit together.
- Rotary cutter: This is designed to quickly cut long strips of fabric and will save you a lot of time compared to using traditional scissors for larger cuts. There are several different sizes of rotary cutter, but beginners should start out with a 45mm blade size for its versatility.
- Self-healing cutting mat: To go along with your rotary cutter, you will want a self-healing cutting mat. These mats usually have measuring lines on them and will help ensure your blade does not get dull.
- Scissors: Even if you have a rotary cutter for big cuts, you still need a pair of scissors for general use. Get a dedicated pair of fabric scissors and place them with your quilting supplies so they won’t be used for anything else.
- Quilting ruler: One long ruler and one square ruler should be enough for a quilting beginner to get started.
- Seam ripper: Consider this like an eraser on a pencil. Everyone makes mistakes, and a seam ripper will help remove those errant stitches that will inevitably occur so you can re-stitch them.
- Spray starch: Pressing your fabric with this will help give your quilt a more professional look when piecing it together.
Now that you know what supplies are needed for quilting for beginners in Albuquerque, NM, visit The Quilt Works, Inc. to get started on your quilting journey with the supplies you need. You might even consider enrolling in one of our classes!